Picture PalaceHoward Hall, Lincoln Road
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Opened as the Ponders End Picture Palace in 1913 as a cinema. Within a couple of years it changed its name to the Ponders End Electric Theatre. In 1938 the name was changed again to the Plaza Cinema. Along with all other UK cinemas, it closed when WW11 broke, but never re-opened. Later it was converted into a dance hall, then the Howard's Hall community centre, closing in the mid 1990s. It was a Wetherspoon from 23/5/2001 till 8/5/2016;and featured in the GBG for many years. Hawthorn Leisure took over four days later and the beer offering is very similar. They sometimes have at least one and maybe 2 London brews along with other popular National beers. The spacious hall maintains architectural features on the walls and ceiling, but the main feature is behind the bar; fabulous murals of Laurel & Hardy, Charlie Chaplin and Harold Lloyd. There is an outdoor patio area. Silent TVs are on all the time, and a huge screen drops down to show major sporting events. LocAle is provided by London micro-breweries.
The pub is open for breakfast from 9am; you can also enjoy a beer from 9am.